Spring is here! We have made it through the snow, ice and frigid temperatures and we are now starting to see the signs of warmer times. Along with those warmer temperatures, come many opportunities for activities that are often too difficult to do during those Winter months that we spend hibernating indoors. One of the most popular tasks that people undertake during the early part of Spring is their annual “Spring Cleaning”.
If you are one of the many who participate in this yearly ritual, here are some tips for getting your home in tip-top shape.
Now that we have reached a season where we can throw open the windows and the doors and bask in the warmth of Spring, it is a good time to give your home a thorough dusting. This is probably the first thing many people will do on their annual cleaning and for good reason. It gets rid of all of those unwanted allergens and makes the whole house seem to sparkle a little more. So, get out your cleaning gloves and your feather duster and have at it. Always make sure you vacuum once you are done dusting. This will get rid of all of the dust you stirred up and that settled into your carpet.
While we are in the dusting stage, this is the perfect opportunity to get your house a little better organized. While you are removing all of those books and knickknacks to clean them and dust around them, you may want to consider swapping them out with more season appropriate accessories. Changing some of them out for new items is an easy way to make your home feel fresher. You can pack some of the old pieces away for another day, or if you want to avoid clutter, they might make great donations to your favorite local charity, for their store.
Many of us spend a lot of time indoors during the colder, Winter months and this means we spend a lot of time sitting on our furniture. Maybe you spend a lot of time sitting on the sofa in your den or in your cozy wing back chair watching you favorite TV shows. Well, these pieces of furniture can accumulate lots of debris over a few months of heavy use. Now is a great time to spend a few minutes cleaning out the remnants of the past season’s popcorn or the remaining evidence of that famous Super bowl party you threw a couple of months ago.
Take those cushions off of the upholstered couch and carry them outside to the nice, warm sun and give them a gentle beating with your hand to remove some of the dust and debris. If you notice spots or stains, check the piece for a manufacturer’s care label, to find the appropriate method for safely cleaning them and clean them as needed.
Once that is done, it is a good time to use the vacuum cleaner and remove the excess crumbs, lint and dust from these cushions and the rest of the piece of furniture. When you have completed these steps, your favorite seat will be like new, again. Maybe now is a good time to take a seat and rest for a few minutes in your newly restored comfy chair.
Okay, that is long enough. We still have work to do!
Drapes and Window Treatments
Spring is a great time to also consider cleaning and/or changing out your drapes and window treatments. Whether you are planning on changing your window treatments or just freshening them up, you will want to give them a good cleaning at this time. It may be as simple as using the attachments on your vacuum to remove dust that has accumulated or you may need to have them professionally dry-cleaned. If you are uncertain about the best method for cleaning your custom fabrics, contact us and we will be glad to help.
If you are in the mood for a fresh start, contact our design team and let them show you our collection of premium fabrics. We can help you create your own customized window treatments and matching bedding for a look that is truly your own.
While this list is not all-inclusive, it will surely get you off to a good start. Below, we have listed some other steps you can do to make your house shine brightly for upcoming seasons.
- Wash your windows and wipe down the walls.
- Clean out your door frames and sliding door tracks.
- Clean and dust overlooked surfaces such as ceiling fans, light fixtures and baseboards.
- Clean or have your rugs cleaned. See manufacturer’s instructions.
- Have your carpets deep cleaned.
- Clean under furniture and appliances.
- Change out your wardrobe and pack away your out of season clothes.
- Clean out your medicine cabinet.
- Replace your shower curtain or clean shower doors.
- Check your grout and caulking on showers and tubs. Clean or replace as needed.
- Check kitchen cabinets for broken dishes and pots and pans. Replace as needed.
- Check the freshness of your herbs and spices. Throw out any out of date spices and replace with fresh ones.
- Clean out cabinets, wash the cabinets’ fronts and doors. Replace any torn or worn out liners.
- Rotate your mattresses and change the bed linens.
- Clean or replace your pillows. See care labels on how to do this.
- Clean, repaint or touch-up your outdoor or patio furniture.
Have another tip? Feel free to leave us your favorite Spring Cleaning tip or idea in the comments section.